Residents are reporting bodies lying in the streets of Christchurch following this afternoon’s magnitude 6.3 earthquake. Police said fatalities had been reported at several locations and that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings. Christchurch mayor Bob Parker has declared a state of emergency.
(AP’s report: Link)
Seems that the damage was because the epicentre was close and quite shallow, 5km and severe aftershocks followed, 5.6 and 5.5.
(There seem to have been several more and a new quake of 4.5 looking at the data below.)
Latest Earthquakes in the World – Past 7 days (USGS)
|Mag|| UTC date-time |
| LAT |
| LON |
| DEPTH |
|MAP||4.5||2011/02/22 06:43:31||-43.593||172.859||5.0||SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND|
|MAP||4.7||2011/02/22 05:28:24||26.651||128.661||35.8||RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN|
|MAP||5.3||2011/02/22 04:56:22||26.416||128.753||25.6||RYUKYU ISLANDS, JAPAN|
|MAP||3.1||2011/02/22 04:33:32||18.953||-66.080||25.0||PUERTO RICO REGION|
|MAP||4.1||2011/02/22 04:19:05||-43.600||172.750||15.0||SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND|
|MAP||4.4||2011/02/22 03:04:09||-43.570||172.650||12.0||SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND|
|MAP||5.1||2011/02/22 02:37:31||-21.154||167.621||35.0||LOYALTY ISLANDS|
|MAP||2.7||2011/02/22 02:33:03||32.473||-115.645||2.7||BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO|
|MAP||5.3||2011/02/22 02:10:25||14.150||120.589||137.0||LUZON, PHILIPPINES|
|MAP||5.5||2011/02/22 01:50:29||-43.588||172.734||9.6||SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND|
|MAP||5.6||2011/02/22 00:04:18||-43.580||172.798||6.7||SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND|
Thousands flee as Philippine volcano erupts (AFP)
State volcanologist Ramil Vaquilar told AFP that rumbling sounds accompanied the ash column that rose between two and 2.5 kilometres (1.2-1.6 miles) above the crater.
Authorities in China stage swift response to crush mysterious calls for ‘Jasmine Revolution’ (NY Daily News)
Authorities in China Sunday staged a massive, nationwide response to head off potential protests after a mysterious post on an advocacy website and other social media outlets urged citizens to stage a “Jasmine Revolution.”
Bloodbath That Shames Britain: As 300 are Massacred for Defying Gaddafi, America and UN Condemn UK for Cosying Up to Tyrant in Blair’s Dirty Deal (Mail via SOTT)
Britain faces growing condemnation over its courting of Colonel Gaddafi after the Libyan dictator ordered the slaughter of hundreds of his own people.
The United Nations and the U.S. Ambassador to London questioned the UK’s cosy trade links with Tripoli yesterday.
British weapons are believed to have been used to murder more than 300 Libyan pro-democracy demonstrators.
‘I haven’t run away, I’m STILL in Tripoli’ (Mail)
Hypocrisy goes on: Cameron takes arms dealers with him on Egypt visit to promote democracy
The Prime Minister was branded a ‘disgrace’ after it emerged that he has taken eight defence firms with him on a four-day visit to the region.
Jo Nova: Black Propaganda: US Government solicits software to generate fake personas
Part of the US Government has been caught trying to buy software that would allow it to generate 500 fake personas generally known as sockpuppets. They plan to use Facebook, Twitter, and blog comments. This particular leaked email refers to a submission from the Air Force, and apparently for use in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the details reveal that “persona management software” is a spookily mature market sector. Who knows how widespread this is already?
US shutdown looms as budget war rages (DT)
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner warns that the Republican Party’s deal to slash budget by $61bn will hit the economy’s fragile recovery
If no compromise can be reached, the government will be forced to close – the so-called “nuclear option”. That last happened in 1995 in a budget row between President Bill Clinton and House speaker, Newt Gingrich. With several states also embroiled in battles over cuts, Wall Street is watching the current clashes over the deficit nervously.
(Wall Street has had much to do with causing the problem.)
Four of Mo’s savages slashed teacher’s face and left him with fractured skull ‘for teaching other religions to Muslim girls’ (Mail)
When they have done their time, remove their passports and send them away.
Why aren’t THEIR teachers in the dock?
Deafening silence from the mozzie moderates as usual.
They call it the religion of peace. Really? Then this is lies? More here. Religion has never been about invisible alien with a beard, power and money, is all, nowt else.
(The revelatory http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate/ site is gone. If anyone wishes to read it, leave a note in the comments.)
Many more insightful toons – http://www.jesusandmo.net/2011/
CCNet – 21 February 2011
The Climate Policy Network
IPCC No Longer Trusted By U.S. Policy Makers
IPCC No Longer Trusted By U.S. Policy Makers
The Climategate scandal played a role in the passage of the amendment, introduced by Republican Representative Blaine Luetkemeyer, who successfully made the case that the Climategate emails discredit the UN’s claims to scientific integrity: “emails publicly released from a university in England showed that leading global scientists intentionally manipulated climate data and suppressed legitimate arguments in peer-reviewed journals,” he stated. “Researchers were asked to delete and destroy emails so that a small number of climate alarmists could continue to advance their environmental agenda.” –Lawrence Solomon, Financial Post, 20 February 2011
1) U.S. Policy Makers Cut Funding For IPCC – America is to cut off all funding to the United Nations climate science panel (IPCC) under sweeping Republican budget cuts that seek to gut spending on environmental protection. – The Guardian, 21 February 2011
2) House Passes Luetkemeyer Amendment to Halt Taxpayer Financing of UN Climate Panel – The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is an entity that is fraught with waste and fraud, and engaged in dubious science, which is the last thing hard-working American taxpayers should be paying for at a time of out-of-control spending and historic debt, which is why I am extremely pleased that my amendment passed. — Blaine Luetkemeyer, House of Representatives, 19 February 2011
3) Roy Spencer: On the House of Representatives Vote to Defund the IPCC – The most vocal climate scientists defending the IPCC have lost their objectivity. Yes, they have what I consider to be a plausible theory. But they actively suppress evidence to the contrary, for instance attempts to study natural explanations for recent warming. That’s one reason why the public was so outraged about the ClimateGate e-mails. ClimateGate doesn’t prove their science is wrong…but it does reveal their bias. Science progresses by investigating alternative explanations for things. Long ago, the IPCC all but abandoned that search. –Global Warming blog, 19 February 2011
4) David Whitehouse: Extreme Events Mean Nothing Without Uncertainties – The Observatory, 21 February 2011
5) Matt Ridley and Indur Goklany: Context Is All – The Rational Optimist, 19 February 2011
Thanks Dr Peiser GWPF