Here are some common lies and misdirection:
- Weather extremes such as droughts, floods, hurricane, tornadoes, and heat waves have become more common.
- In his recent movie, former Vice President Al Gore, said: “If you look at the ten hottest years ever measured, they all occurred in the last fourteen years, and the hottest of all was 2005.”
- Climate has been stable for a long time but now is getting increasingly extreme.
- CO2 is a pollutant.
- CO2 is the most important greenhouse gas.
- The greenhouse effect is a bad thing.
- Modeling the earth’s climate is nearly an exact science.
- Summers will be extremely hot and dry.
- The sun is a constant source of energy.
- Glaciers all over the world are letting because of global warming.
- Gore claims that sea level rise could drown the Pacific islands, Florida, major cities the world over, and the 9/11 Memorial in New York City.
- It’s getting hot in here; In 2003 the hottest European summer on record caused more than 20,000 deaths. Extreme heat waves also caused more than 1500 deaths in India.
- Gore lists ways the United States could reduce emissions of greenhouse gases back to the levels of 1970.
- The number of category 4 and 5 storms has greatly increased over the past 35 years, along with ocean temperature. Warmer water in the oceans pumps more energy into tropical storms, making them more intense and potentially more destructive.
- Warmer temperatures could also increase the probability of drought. Greater evaporation, particularly during summer and fall, could exacerbate drought conditions and increase the risk of wildfires.
- More frequent and more intensive heat waves could result in more heat-related deaths. These conditions could also aggravate local air quality problems, already afflicting more than 80 million Americans. Global warming is expected to increase the potential geographic range and virulence of tropical diseases as well.
- Is global warming really impacting polar bears?